When observing minor showers for the first time, is it worth trying to do an association with a known shower, or leave the shower column blank and just fill in the magnitude distribution and number seen columns?
The IMO guide seems to suggest that this is the way to go.

When observing minor showers for the first time, is it worth trying to do an association with a known shower, or leave the shower column blank and just fill in the magnitude distribution and number seen columns? The IMO guide seems to suggest that this is the way to go.

Ben and All,

I don't recall the IMO guide stating that but it's been awhile since I have read it. My suggestion would be to go ahead and attempt to identify meteors from minor showers. Just remember that these showers are usually sparse averaging only 1-2 shower members per hour, depending on the date and observing conditions. If you are seeing in excess of this amount then most likely you are misidentifying some sporadic meteors. You must also remember that fast meteors are never seen close to the radiant. Surprises do occur and that is why we ask observers to monitor these minor sources.

I hope this helps!

Robert Lunsford
IMO Forum Moderator

Ben and All, I don't recall the IMO guide stating that but it's been awhile since I have read it. My suggestion would be to go ahead and attempt to identify meteors from minor showers. Just remember that these showers are usually sparse averaging only 1-2 shower members per hour, depending on the date and observing conditions. If you are seeing in excess of this amount then most likely you are misidentifying some sporadic meteors. You must also remember that fast meteors are never seen close to the radiant. Surprises do occur and that is why we ask observers to monitor these minor sources. I hope this helps! Robert Lunsford IMO Forum Moderator
Robert Lunsford - IMO Forum Administrator

Thanks. I saw 13 from 2300-2400 local time. 2 were clearly from the ANT, and 2 from AHY (these are the ones that could possibly be sporadics due to noise). The rest would have definitely been sporadics. I'll try plotting next time to get better confirmation.
I was a little surprised to get that many in an hour before midnight at a time and location with no active major showers. I suppose this surprise is a good one!

Thanks. I saw 13 from 2300-2400 local time. 2 were clearly from the ANT, and 2 from AHY (these are the ones that could possibly be sporadics due to noise). The rest would have definitely been sporadics. I'll try plotting next time to get better confirmation. I was a little surprised to get that many in an hour before midnight at a time and location with no active major showers. I suppose this surprise is a good one!
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft