Is there a minimum acceptable Lm for observing?
For example, at my rural site, the Lm is around 5.8, so it's obviously fine.
At my house in an urban area, clear nights are around 3.8-4.1.
The reduced number of sightings is an obvious consequence, but are the observations still of use?

Is there a minimum acceptable Lm for observing? For example, at my rural site, the Lm is around 5.8, so it's obviously fine. At my house in an urban area, clear nights are around 3.8-4.1. The reduced number of sightings is an obvious consequence, but are the observations still of use?

Ben,

With a limiting magnitude of +4.0, the correction factor is very high since you are seeing only a small fraction of the meteors that actually occur. We discourage observations with LM's less than +5.0 not only because of the high correction faction, but that the observers will become bored with the lack of activity.

Robert Lunsford
IMO Forum Moderator

Ben, With a limiting magnitude of +4.0, the correction factor is very high since you are seeing only a small fraction of the meteors that actually occur. We discourage observations with LM's less than +5.0 not only because of the high correction faction, but that the observers will become bored with the lack of activity. Robert Lunsford IMO Forum Moderator
Robert Lunsford - IMO Forum Administrator
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft