Dear meteor observers,

I was having a look at the 2017 IMO Meteor Shower Calendar, and especially looking for activity prospects for the 2017 Perseids maximum, and I read that the forecast ZHR for the Perseid activity peak was 150...
As I do not think any activity enhancement is predicted, I wa sthus wondering why the predicted maximum ZHR was so high for 2017. Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks in advance!
Clear skies!
Karl

Dear meteor observers, I was having a look at the 2017 IMO Meteor Shower Calendar, and especially looking for activity prospects for the 2017 Perseids maximum, and I read that the forecast ZHR for the Perseid activity peak was 150... As I do not think any activity enhancement is predicted, I wa sthus wondering why the predicted maximum ZHR was so high for 2017. Does anyone have an explanation? Thanks in advance! Clear skies! Karl

Karl,

I believe the figure of 150 may have accidentally been left on the list from expectations of the 2016 Perseids. If you look at the Perseid article in the middle of the calendar handbook, you will see a figure of 110 for the 2017 Perseids. This is more in line with a normal Perseid display. Visual observers will have to contend with a bright waning gibbous moon at maximum this year so actual visual rates will be significantly less than 110. I would expect observers under transparent skies to see no more than 40-50 per hour at best this year at maximum.

I hope this helps!

Bob

Karl, I believe the figure of 150 may have accidentally been left on the list from expectations of the 2016 Perseids. If you look at the Perseid article in the middle of the calendar handbook, you will see a figure of 110 for the 2017 Perseids. This is more in line with a normal Perseid display. Visual observers will have to contend with a bright waning gibbous moon at maximum this year so actual visual rates will be significantly less than 110. I would expect observers under transparent skies to see no more than 40-50 per hour at best this year at maximum. I hope this helps! Bob
Robert Lunsford - IMO Forum Administrator

Thanks a lot Bob, for your reply!
It helps a lot, as it confirmed what I was guessing, but could not be sure, so I was wondering if I missed something, as it sometimes happen...

Thanks a lot, and let's wait for the Perseids, then!
But before... tau-Herculids and other showers are coming (especially the late July ones: SDA and CAP)!

Clear skies!
Karl

Thanks a lot Bob, for your reply! It helps a lot, as it confirmed what I was guessing, but could not be sure, so I was wondering if I missed something, as it sometimes happen... Thanks a lot, and let's wait for the Perseids, then! But before... tau-Herculids and other showers are coming (especially the late July ones: SDA and CAP)! Clear skies! Karl

Dear meteor observers,

Bob is right assuming that the number is a left-over from the 2016 calender, unfortunately missed by all proof readers. (Hope to avoid similar errors this time.)

However, when preparing the 2018 calendar I found that Table 5d of Peter Jenniskens' book "meteor showers and their parent comets" of 2006 (p. 662) has an entry for 2017 announcing a Perseid filament at 139.78 deg (2017 Aug 12, ~13 UT) with a possibly enhanced rate. So it seems worth to check around this time despite the poor moonlight conditions.

Clear skies!
Jurgen

Dear meteor observers, Bob is right assuming that the number is a left-over from the 2016 calender, unfortunately missed by all proof readers. (Hope to avoid similar errors this time.) However, when preparing the 2018 calendar I found that Table 5d of Peter Jenniskens' book "meteor showers and their parent comets" of 2006 (p. 662) has an entry for 2017 announcing a **Perseid filament at 139.78 deg (2017 Aug 12, ~13 UT)** with a possibly enhanced rate. So it seems worth to check around this time despite the poor moonlight conditions. Clear skies! Jurgen

Thanks Jürgen for the notification!
Definitely worth having a look (or at least a radio station) at that time!

Clear skies!
Karl

Thanks Jürgen for the notification! Definitely worth having a look (or at least a radio station) at that time! Clear skies! Karl

Dear meteor observers,

I just joined, and a total newbie fortunate enough to live on the world's first Dark Sky Island, Sark, in the Channel Islands off west coast of France.

I have been having difficulty finding the approximate peak viewing time for 2017 Perseids -- the only reference I found was on skyandtelescope.com site, which referenced IMO, but not found same info on IMO site yet?

"August 12: The Perseids

Even casual skywatchers know about the Perseid meteor shower,
The shower's peak performance is relatively brief, so timing is important. According to the International Meteor Organization, the shower's 2017 maximum should come between 14:00 UT on August 12th and 2:30 UT on the 13th. The midpoint of that range is about 20:00 UT, which is during daylight in North America. Moreover, the Moon, a few days past full, will rise around 10 p.m. on the 12th and wash out most of the Perseids. So start watching on the evening of the 12th as soon as it's gotten dark and the radiant (near the Double Cluster in Perseus) clears the horizon."

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/meteor-showers-in-2017/

Has there been any refinement in the recommended viewing time?

Also, I would love to start official meteor counts on Sark, so might anyone be in the vicinity and can join us? It would be great if someone with experience could help get us newbies started, that would be fantastic!

For Perseids peak 2016, it was easy to find info narrowing down the peak viewing time, so we knew when to gather - trouble was, even though we intended to count, it was so exciting, we all got distracted . . .

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Kaye

Dear meteor observers, I just joined, and a total newbie fortunate enough to live on the world's first Dark Sky Island, Sark, in the Channel Islands off west coast of France. I have been having difficulty finding the approximate peak viewing time for 2017 Perseids -- the only reference I found was on skyandtelescope.com site, which referenced IMO, but not found same info on IMO site yet? "August 12: The Perseids Even casual skywatchers know about the Perseid meteor shower, ..... The shower's peak performance is relatively brief, so timing is important. According to the International Meteor Organization, the shower's 2017 maximum should come between 14:00 UT on August 12th and 2:30 UT on the 13th. The midpoint of that range is about 20:00 UT, which is during daylight in North America. Moreover, the Moon, a few days past full, will rise around 10 p.m. on the 12th and wash out most of the Perseids. So start watching on the evening of the 12th as soon as it's gotten dark and the radiant (near the Double Cluster in Perseus) clears the horizon." http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/meteor-showers-in-2017/ Has there been any refinement in the recommended viewing time? Also, I would love to start official meteor counts on Sark, so might anyone be in the vicinity and can join us? It would be great if someone with experience could help get us newbies started, that would be fantastic! For Perseids peak 2016, it was easy to find info narrowing down the peak viewing time, so we knew when to gather - trouble was, even though we intended to count, it was so exciting, we all got distracted . . . Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Kaye
edited Jul 23 at 8:58 pm

Kaye and All,

More information may be found on the 2017 Perseids in the IMO's 2017 Shower Calendar available on the home page of the IMO at: www.imo.net There is a link on the very bottom left portion of the page.

Due to the poor conditions this year the details are not as great as in previous years. For your location, viewing during the late evening of August 12 and early morning of August will provide the best rates. If that night is cloudy the nights before and after maximum also provide impressive rates.

While the absolute peak is somewhat narrow, strong rates are still usually visible for most of the northern hemisphere on either August 12 or 13, depending on your location. Therefore if it is daylight when the maximum occurs at your location, you still have a good chance of witnessing satisfying activity the mornings before and after the predicted time.

The big problem this year for the Perseids is the bright moon, which will obscure the many faint meteors that occur with this shower. There are still plenty of bright Perseids to be seen so it is certainly still worth observing. A good suggestion would be to face toward the north with the moon at your back. If your sky is clear and transparent you should easily see 20-25 Perseids per hour, which is far better than most showers throughout the year.

Good luck!

Robert Lunsford

Kaye and All, More information may be found on the 2017 Perseids in the IMO's 2017 Shower Calendar available on the home page of the IMO at: www.imo.net There is a link on the very bottom left portion of the page. Due to the poor conditions this year the details are not as great as in previous years. For your location, viewing during the late evening of August 12 and early morning of August will provide the best rates. If that night is cloudy the nights before and after maximum also provide impressive rates. While the absolute peak is somewhat narrow, strong rates are still usually visible for most of the northern hemisphere on either August 12 or 13, depending on your location. Therefore if it is daylight when the maximum occurs at your location, you still have a good chance of witnessing satisfying activity the mornings before and after the predicted time. The big problem this year for the Perseids is the bright moon, which will obscure the many faint meteors that occur with this shower. There are still plenty of bright Perseids to be seen so it is certainly still worth observing. A good suggestion would be to face toward the north with the moon at your back. If your sky is clear and transparent you should easily see 20-25 Perseids per hour, which is far better than most showers throughout the year. Good luck! Robert Lunsford
Robert Lunsford - IMO Forum Administrator
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft