Hi,
Is there anyone going to the IMC that would be willing to do a workshop on how to generate the 3D maps showing meteor trails over the ground.
Not being an expert my own attempts have not worked.
I'd really like to see how it's done properly and I'm sure there would be plenty of other people interested too!
Cheers,
Bill.

PS. I tried to create this topic in the IMO/IMC section but the "create" button didn't seem to do anything.

Hi, Is there anyone going to the IMC that would be willing to do a workshop on how to generate the 3D maps showing meteor trails over the ground. Not being an expert my own attempts have not worked. I'd really like to see how it's done properly and I'm sure there would be plenty of other people interested too! Cheers, Bill. PS. I tried to create this topic in the IMO/IMC section but the "create" button didn't seem to do anything.

Hi Bill, I think Vincent Perlerin masters this art, and for sure there are others. A good chat at the IMC will probably solve your problem.

Hi Bill, I think Vincent Perlerin masters this art, and for sure there are others. A good chat at the IMC will probably solve your problem.

Hello, Bill!
I saw various solutions for what you are looking for, mostly as the result from trajectory determination softwares. But since I recall seeing some 3D projections of UFOOrbit observations somewhere (unfortunatelly, I can't recall WHERE I saw them) I guess somewhere out there should be a tool for translating unified UFOOrbit csv files to GoogleEarth... found this at SonotaCo Japanese Forum:
http://sonotaco.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2058

I guess this might be available in English as well, an e-mail to SonotaCo might do the job (at least until the IMC, where we may chat about it).

All the best,
Damir

Hello, Bill! I saw various solutions for what you are looking for, mostly as the result from trajectory determination softwares. But since I recall seeing some 3D projections of UFOOrbit observations somewhere (unfortunatelly, I can't recall WHERE I saw them) I guess somewhere out there should be a tool for translating unified UFOOrbit csv files to GoogleEarth... found this at SonotaCo Japanese Forum: http://sonotaco.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2058 I guess this might be available in English as well, an e-mail to SonotaCo might do the job (at least until the IMC, where we may chat about it). All the best, Damir

I'd like to know how it's done, or so I can do it myself one day. I have kept two images of a 3 node Perseid (a trail with 3 brighter nodes), taken from two different places in England (Loughborough and Worcester), 2 or 3 years ago (I have the exact dates and times, just can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years now). The problems I had were:

I needed to plate solve both images (novaastrometry, just learning).

Enlarge the plate solutions to A3, print off and read off RA and Dec as precise as possible. Awaited but printed off the images. I'm sure a program could read off the RA and Dec precisely, but my level of knowledge of such programs was that reading off a chart was easier.

Convert the RA and Dec to degrees altitude and latitude for each observing location. I don't know how to convert this, and has remained shelved since. I was going to read off the 3 nodes of the trail, so that a decent line could possibly be produced (in addition to the direction of travel over the country). I have coordinates for both observing stations, including height above sea level.

Use the altitude and latitude for each bright point, to triangulate and produce a decent line. One issue might be; in one of the images, the start of the trail is not shown (was outside the FOV), but the 3 nodes and ends can be seen in both images.

I don't know if any or all the above can be done, but when I saw the post about maps, I thought there was a similarity.

I'd like to know how it's done, or so I can do it myself one day. I have kept two images of a 3 node Perseid (a trail with 3 brighter nodes), taken from two different places in England (Loughborough and Worcester), 2 or 3 years ago (I have the exact dates and times, just can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years now). The problems I had were: I needed to plate solve both images (novaastrometry, just learning). Enlarge the plate solutions to A3, print off and read off RA and Dec as precise as possible. Awaited but printed off the images. I'm sure a program could read off the RA and Dec precisely, but my level of knowledge of such programs was that reading off a chart was easier. Convert the RA and Dec to degrees altitude and latitude for each observing location. I don't know how to convert this, and has remained shelved since. I was going to read off the 3 nodes of the trail, so that a decent line could possibly be produced (in addition to the direction of travel over the country). I have coordinates for both observing stations, including height above sea level. Use the altitude and latitude for each bright point, to triangulate and produce a decent line. One issue might be; in one of the images, the start of the trail is not shown (was outside the FOV), but the 3 nodes and ends can be seen in both images. I don't know if any or all the above can be done, but when I saw the post about maps, I thought there was a similarity.

What Bill asked for is how to visualize the atmospheric trajectory which is already been calculated, not how to calculate the trajectory itself.

If I'm not wrong, Derek, what you would like to know is how to do the astrometry on meteor images and how to calculate the trajectory from those data.
Regarding astrometry, yes, you may use some astrometry tool to estimate the celestial coordinates. Regarding the trajectory estimation, there are papers about how it is done available on NASA ADS page, namely by Ceplecha (1987) and Borovička (1990) followed by Gural (2012). Not sure if there is any freeware software which would do the job using those methods, all programs which do the trajectory estimation are parts of some package (UFO, CAMS...).

Good starting point in learning how to do it is Ceplecha's paper from 1987,
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1987BAICz..38..222C
Despite it threats all-sky observations, and ends with orbit determination chapters from 5 to 10 may be applied to all observations.

What Bill asked for is how to visualize the atmospheric trajectory which is already been calculated, not how to calculate the trajectory itself. If I'm not wrong, Derek, what you would like to know is how to do the astrometry on meteor images and how to calculate the trajectory from those data. Regarding astrometry, yes, you may use some astrometry tool to estimate the celestial coordinates. Regarding the trajectory estimation, there are papers about how it is done available on NASA ADS page, namely by Ceplecha (1987) and Borovička (1990) followed by Gural (2012). Not sure if there is any freeware software which would do the job using those methods, all programs which do the trajectory estimation are parts of some package (UFO, CAMS...). Good starting point in learning how to do it is Ceplecha's paper from 1987, http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1987BAICz..38..222C Despite it threats all-sky observations, and ends with orbit determination chapters from 5 to 10 may be applied to all observations.
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft